HEADPHASES | REVIEWS | PHOTOGRAPHY | HYPERMAGICISM INTERNATIONAL | ABOUT | TWITTER | RSS

Thursday, May 1, 2008

About

The Hypermagic Headphase used to be the name of my radio show back in college on WPTS-FM. It was a two-hour long show on Thursday night that spanned everything from downtempo electronica and big beat house to spazzcore and noise. The name was taken from two of my favorite albums of all time, and the two opposite ends of the musical spectrum that I featured on the show--Lightning Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain and Boards of Canada's The Campfire Headphase. It was, I felt, an extension of myself as any good radio show (or art in general) should be. And the show wasn't just putting on CDs and going out to smoke a cig, it was as close to an organic artform as I could create. Ask any of the guests I regularly had on the show: I needed two people just to get records on and off the turntables fast enough because I was usually playing three things at once.

So when I started this blog, I kicked around a couple of ideas for awhile as to what I'd want to call it. Something about books, since the focus would be on book reviews when I had no inspiration for other things to write? Or maybe something to do with anger, since I've got so much of that pent up inside me? But I settled on using The Hypermagic Headphase moniker again, because, more than anything else, that phrase has come to represent myself to me. It's the opposite ends of the spectrum of my personality: the loud clanging rage that boils over into rants and raves about nothing in particular, and the calm (supposed) intellectual sitting back and enjoying a good book by the fire. If I had a fire. Which I don't.

If you'd like to contact me, feel free to do so in either the comments sections of my blogs or by email (jeremyzerbe@gmail.com). I love to hear from the people that stumble upon my little corner of the internet. And yes, I'd be glad to write for your website. Or watch your dog. Or to be the heir to your fortune. Step right up.


Jeremy Zerbe is a writer regrettably living in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He has been a featured writer for Undress Me Robot, Daily Kos, and Coed Magazine and his fiction has been published in the Three Rivers Review and in an upcoming sex anthology entitled The Living Room Handjob. He is a 2008 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh with a B.A. in Writing, and would gladly take any job you have to offer him, especially if it helps him move back to Pittsburgh or to somewhere in the U.K. or Germany. Also, Iceland. He really enjoyed that Sigur Rós documentary.